I have recently had a number of conversations with new DMR users wondering how to use the network without being impolite to other users, even inadvertently. I thought it would be useful to write this all down for everyone’s future reference. If you have anything to add or disagree with anything, please leave a comment! I will try to keep this updated.
Also, please note – these are just my opinions.
How to be Polite on DMR
- Listen before you talk.
- When you first turn your radio on, listen for a minute or two and make sure the channel is clear before keying up.
- Set the admit criteria in every channel to color code.
- This will prevent you from keying up on top of someone.
- Don’t use the calling talk groups (Worldwide, North America, etc) for QSOs. Think of them as the 52.525 or 146.52 of DMR.
- Not only is this obnoxious, but you will unnecessarily key up thousands of repeaters for no good reason.